Friday, July 16, 2010

At Night

The wind is singing through the trees to-night,

A deep-voiced song of rushing cadences

And crashing intervals. No summer breeze

Is this, though hot July is at its height,

Gone is her gentler music; with delight

She listens to this booming like the seas,

These elemental, loud necessities

Which call to her to answer their swift might.

Above the tossing trees shines down a star,

Quietly bright; this wild, tumultuous joy

Quickens nor dims its splendour. And my mind,

O Star! is filled with your white light, from far,

So suffer me this one night to enjoy

The freedom of the onward sweeping wind.
--Amy Lowell

2 comments:

  1. If I could sit outside tonight and think of these words, I'm sure I would sleep and dream amazing dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful thought, Oddyoddyo13! Oh, for a treehouse on a night such as the one in this poem! Thank you for writing, and may God bless you.

    ReplyDelete